Killed by a kiss: Two-month-old baby boy dies after his father infects him with the cold sore virus
- Kaiden McCormick died of multiple organ failure after catching herpes virus
- Father Carl Maclaren's heart 'broke in two' when told what killed his son
- Mother Marrie-Claire McCormick: 'He is distraught. But I never blamed Carl'
- Couple urging government to raise awareness of the dangers of cold sores
- Marrie-Claire, who is pregnant again, said: 'No baby should die from a kiss'
A premature baby died from multiple organ failure after being kissed by his doting father, his heartbroken mother has revealed.
Kaiden McCormick's tiny body shut down after catching a cold sore virus from Carl Maclaren.
He spent six weeks on a life-support machine, but doctors were unable to save him and he died aged just two months.
Kiss of death: Baby Kaiden McCormick died after contracting a cold virus which he caught when he was given a loving kiss by his father Carl Maclaren (right), his mother Marrie-Claire McCormick (left) has revealed
'His heart broke in two': Carl and Marrie-Claire were devastated to find out that their baby had been struck down by a virus from his father's kiss
His parents were shocked to discover their baby had been struck down with the herpes simplex virus, a disease carried by most of the population, but usually lies dormant.
Mother Marrie-Claire McCormick, 28, said: 'I asked how it was possible for a baby to have herpes?
'When he said it was transmitted via the cold sore virus I looked at Carl and he instinctively touched his lip. In that moment I saw his heart break in two.
'Carl just broke down. He was totally distraught and kept saying he blamed himself.
'But I never once blamed Carl. All he had ever done was shower our baby with love and affection. He had been the perfect father. I hated seeing him punish himself.'
'Distraught': Carl feels that if he had never gone near his son 'he'd still be here today'
Vulnerable: Kaiden was born five weeks premature on March 28
Carl, 34, a painter and decorator from Bootle, Merseyside, said: 'I blame myself but I had no idea.
'Obviously if I had I wouldn't have gone near him and he'd still be here today.'
Marrie-Claire was thrilled to discover she was expecting a son in August 2011.
Kaiden was born five weeks prematurely on March 28 last year.
Marrie-Claire said: ‘We were smitten with him. He looked the image of his daddy with a shock of dark hair and blue eyes.
'It was our dream come true to be home together as a family.’
They doted on Kaiden and each night after his bath would spend time kissing and cuddling him before laying him down to sleep in his moses basket next to their bed where Marrie-Claire would sing him off to sleep.
Heartbreaking: Kaiden spent six weeks on a life-support machine, but doctors were unable to save him
Campaigning: Marrie-Claire, pictured (left) with Kaiden in hospital and is expecting again (right), is calling on the government to raise more awareness of the dangers of cold sores for babies
COLD SORE VIRUS MOST LETHAL IN FIRST SIX WEEKS OF LIFE
But when he just over two weeks old, he sent his parents into blind panic when he suddenly turned blue after refusing to take his bottle.
Marrie-Claire said: 'I wasn’t too worried at first, but when I tried again later he grizzled and moaned so I kept a close eye on him.’
She’d just noticed a slight temperature when suddenly Kaiden turned blue and stopped breathing.
'Pure panic hit, I just screamed at Carl to call an ambulance,’ she says.
Paramedics arrived within minutes and rushed the family to Alder Hay Hospital in Liverpool where Kaiden was taken straight into resuscitation.
Marrie-Claire said: 'There were doctors everywhere all frantically working on him. I kept asking them what was wrong, what had happened to my baby? But nobody knew.
'When they took me to see him he was on a ventilator covered in tubes and wires and I just broke down.
'He looked so tiny. I couldn’t believe this had happened so quickly, he’d been fine the night before. I kept thinking it was an awful nightmare and that I’d wake up.’
The parents kept vigil at his bedside but just 48 hours later consultants warned he was unlikely to survive and urged them to consider switching of the ventilator.
'A consultant told us his brain was that swollen he was unlikely to pull through. I went into shock. It didn’t make sense that I’d given birth to a perfect baby and now I was being told to let him go before I even knew what was wrong with him.’
Desperate: Carl pleaded with doctors to do everything they could, but after six weeks on life-support Kaiden started to suffer seizures and his parents were gently asked to consider switching the machine off
Carl said: ' I pleaded with them to do something else, he was only two weeks old. We couldn’t give up.’
After six weeks in hospital Kaiden still couldn't breathe for himself and when he started suffering seizures Marrie-Claire and Carl were gently asked to consider having the machine switched off.
She said: ‘ We were told there was no hope and as a mother you want to protect your baby from suffering so we made the hardest decision of our lives.
'We gave permission for the permission to be switched off so he could go to sleep. He was handed to me and I cuddled him and held him as he slipped away.
'I kissed him and told him how much I loved him and how good it felt to hold him in my arms again as he fell asleep for the last time.’
Kaiden was just eight weeks old when he slipped away on May 24th last year.
The hospital was obliged to inform the police the illness was unexplained. But no charges were brought after the death was confirmed as a tragic accident.
They wrote to the health secretary calling for more information to be given to expectant mums and started an e petition for hospitals to include facts about the virus on leaflets given to new parents.
Now Marrie-Claire is eight months pregnant and due to give birth to a baby girl next month.
She said: 'She is our reason to live again. But I will never get over losing my son Kaiden.
'He would have been a fantastic big brother if he hadn’t been taken by a kiss. No baby should ever die because of a kiss.'
To sign the e petition visit epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/38809
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2287767/Two-month-old-baby-boy-killed-cold-sore-virus-loving-kiss-father.html#ixzz2MbqhiwXi